pvyfc pvyfc FB-f-Logo__blue_29 Club Store

U10s v Bishops Cannings Youth FC Fireblades - match report

By pewsey, May 11 2015 08:13AM

After the euphoria of the U9s Cup Final victory on Saturday it was very much back to business as usual at the Vale on Sunday morning where the U10s hosted Bishops Cannings Youth FC Fireblades for an end of season friendly.

In preparation for next season the game was played as 9v9, on the larger pitch and with the addition of the offside rule.

Two very well balanced teams provided a splendid morning’s entertainment to the delight of an especially well humoured crowd.

Team photo and full report below. Thanks to all the players, coaches, referees and supporters.

Next weekend all the Pewsey Youth teams are looking forward to joining together for the annual Footballathon football festival. Everybody is welcome to join and there will be a barbecue and bar.

Footballathon - Saturday 16th May. Matches from 10.30am at the senior ground in the village.

Manager’s Report by Lee

True to form form Pewsey started slowly, didn't press, didn't push up and were punished with an early goal from the Fireblades. The boys then realised they must step up and start to impose themselves on the game. The back three pushed up, the midfield pressed and the front man closed down the space. They started to pin the Fireblades back onto their penalty area.

After a good passing move Ben was released on the edge of the area to slot home across the goal keeper, 1-1. Emphatic finish at an important time of the game.

The match continued with both teams trying to force the pace and score the next goal. Pewsey kept a higher line and their shape looked impressive. The wingers tucked in when defending and they were compact.

Bishop Cannings got a free kick on the edge of the area, the player struck a beauty of a shot, however, Harvey leapt like a coiled spring to palm the ball over the bar. A fantastic save!

Half time 1-1.

In the second half we started slow, sat back and didn't pick up our players. No one took responsibility. Bishop Cannings pressed and eventually scored past the determined Pewsey keeper (Harvey). Almost immediately Bishop Cannings went 3-1 up due to poor defending and marking again. Pewsey had a lapse of concentration.

Changes were made and straight away we pressed up the pitch and started to get the ball down and pass. The pressure started to show and we forced Bishop Cannings back to the edge of their box again. Chances came, Charlie had a volley which went wide and Oliver went close with a header after a great cross. Eventually the goal came after Charlie forced his way past a couple of defenders before striking the ball into the far corner. 3-2.

The boys started to get the ball forward quicker and it was paying off. Pewsey looked full of energy and they try to force an equaliser. Ben got on the end of a peach of a through ball to calmly slot home!! 3-3.

Only a few minutes remained and Pewsey continued to press high. Bishop Cannings were battling and came close but after some great last ditch defending by Oscar Oldman and Luke and Harvey being secure in goal we held our line.

The final goal came in the last 2 minutes. Charlie was released in the final third, powered past two players before hitting a thunderbolt into the roof of the net.

Full time 4-3.